Metabolic alkalinity release from large port facilities (Hamburg, Germany) and impact on coastal carbon storage


Metabolic activities in estuaries, especially these of large rivers, profoundly affect the downstream coastal biogeochemistry. Here, we unravel the impacts of large industrial port facilities, showing that elevated metabolic activity in the Hamburg port (Germany) increases total alkalinity (TA) and dissolved inorganic carbon (DIC) runoff to the North Sea. The imports of particulate inorganic carbon, particulate organic carbon, and particulate organic nitrogen (PIC, POC, and PON) from the upstream Elbe River can fuel up to 90 % of the TA generated in the entire estuary via calcium carbonate (CaCO3) dissolution. The remaining at least 10 % of TA generation can be attributed to anaerobic metabolic processes such as denitrification of remineralized PON or other pathways. The Elbe Estuary as a whole adds approximately 15 % to the overall DIC and TA runoff. Both the magnitude and partitioning among these processes appear to be sensitive to climatic and anthropogenic changes. Thus, with increased TA loads, the coastal ocean (in particular) would act as a stronger CO2 sink, resulting in changes to the overall coastal system's capacity to store CO2.
QR Code: Link to publication